Friday 7 August 2020

Scorpions

 Ok I got distracted. Well the Element Games parcel turned up with these!

 These are Reaper Bones Scorpions, which I picked up because they were cheap and because I fancied painting something a bit different.

I also got a couple of the new contrast paints with the order, so I thought I could use these to try out a couple of colour techniques.

Both started off primed with Army Painter Leather Brown.

The Black Scorpion was painted Vallejo German Grey (a good charcoal grey), then painted with Black Templar contrast paint. The sting and eyes were done in neat black. This didn't quite give the effect I wanted, so I edge highlighted some plates with German Grey, then washed with Army Painter Dark Tone, to darken things up again.  I'm quite pleased with this black tone.

The Brown Scorpion was mainly done in Fyreslayer Flesh contrast paint with a dark back streak wet blended in using Black Templar. I also worked some Fleshtearers Red contrast paint in a couple of the joints. Details were then done in Black, before I edge highlighted in thinned Vallejo Flat Earth, then washed with Army Painter Strong Tone. The wet blending didn't work quite as well as hoped, and is a bit too brown, but isn't bad regardless.

Basing on both Scorpions was done with Agrellan Earth technical paint (another new paint, tried for the first time here), with some Woodland Scenics grass flock (Burnt Turf, and Dark Green course turf), applied very sparingly. I like the Agrellan Earth, this produces a nice effect. I will try and use this more in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment